Ingredients for Dough:
1 and 1/3 cup Warm water
2 and a 1/4 tsp Instant Yeast (one packet)
1 tbsp Sugar
250g Whole Wheat Flour (2 cups) *See notes for variation
250g All purpose Flour (2 cups)
1 tbsp Olive Oil
3/4 tsp Salt
Ingredients for Pizza roll:
2 tsp Olive oil
1 can of Pizza sauce (around 200 ml)
120g Shredded Light Cheese (1 cup)
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Oregano
1. To prepare the dough you will need to mix the water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Let this sit for 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl add the flour, salt and 1 tbsp on olive oil. Stir this with a wooden spoon and then once the yeast mixture is ready add that to flour mix and stir until a dough is formed.
3. On a floured surface knead the dough for about 5 minutes with your hands and form into a ball.
4. Lightly oil the large bowl and place the dough back in and cover with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rise for 90 minutes - it should double in size
5. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper
6. When the dough is ready punch it down to release any air bubbles and cut the dough in half with a large knife
7. Roll out each half of the dough into a rectangle on a lightly floured surface about 10x12 inches
8. Brush the top of each dough with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, and spread half of the pizza sauce on top of the entire dough. Sprinkle each dough with 1/2 tsp garlic powder and oregano.
9. Sprinkle 1/2 cup shredded cheese on top and then carefully roll the dough rectangles into a log.
10. Once you have the dough rolled into a log, using a large sharp knife cut the dough in half, then cut those 2 pieces in half, and then cut those 4 pieces in half one more time. You will have 8 pieces per log.
11. After doing this for both pieces of dough you can begin to transfer each piece onto both baking trays (with parchment paper), 8 rolls per baking tray.
12. Bake for 15 minutes - until golden and then let them cool for 5 minutes before enjoying them!
1. There are many different flours you can use for this recipe - I had Whole Wheat on hand so I wanted to incorporate it. I would not advise using ONLY whole wheat flour, you will need to use an All Purpose or Bread flour along with it. You can however use all All purpose flour or Bread flour for this recipe. You will use 4 cups of either flour.
2. Feel free to add pepperoni or any toppings you would like before rolling into a log. You can also add extra cheese on top of the rolls before placing in the oven.
3. I have made these vegan before and just replaced the cheese with Daiya cheese and it was just as good.
Nutritional Information per Pizza Roll
Disclosure: Some of the links provided in my posts are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.