Servings: 20 slices (2 loaves)
6 cups All Purpose Flour (720g)
2.5 tsp Baking Yeast
3 tbsp Granulated Sugar
2 tsp Salt
2 cups Water
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Fennel Seeds
1 tsp Rosemary
1 tbsp Melted Butter
1. Whisk together the flour, yeast, sugar, salt, fennel seeds and rosemary.
2. In a small sauce pan heat up the water and the olive oil just until warm. Once heated add this mixture to the flour mixture and stir until dough forms.
3. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes on a well floured surface, adding a little more flour at a time if the dough ends up being too sticky. Place kneaded dough into a greased bowl. Cover and let rise for about an hour.
4. Once the dough has doubled in size, punch down the dough to release air and place the dough back onto the well floured surface. Slice the dough in half and shape each half into a round loaf. Make 3 slashes across the top of each loaf.
5. Place both loaves on a baking tray with parchment paper. Cover the pan with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for another 30 minutes.
6. While its rising preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
7. Once ready place the baking tray in the oven and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
8. Transfer loaves from the baking tray to a wire rack and brush each loaf with melted butter. Let cool completely and then enjoy!
1. I have only tested this recipe with All Purpose flour and it comes out light and airy.
2. You can try using different spices but i love fennel and rosemary together, I think they are a great combination.
Nutritional Information for 1 slice
Disclosure: Some of the links provided in my posts are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.